By: Dow Constantine
For over 240 years, Americans have fought for our freedoms – and for the promise of a nation where all are created equal. On July 4 we celebrate national independence, individual freedom, and the determination to succeed at this bold experiment in democracy. In between the barbecues, parades and fireworks, the meaning shines through.
While I love a long weekend spent with family and friends, every year I find myself reflecting on how far America has come – and how much we still have to fight to achieve.
What does real freedom mean?
- It means life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness – the chance to truly flourish.
- It means every child in King County getting the best start possible, no matter their parents’ circumstance.
- It means all the new citizens I have the privilege to welcome today being treated fairly, and with dignity – no matter where they’re from.
- It means access to reliable transportation that can get you to work, school, or King County’s spectacular shorelines and wilderness.
- It means being able to walk down the street – any gender, race or religion – without fear of being the victim of a hate crime.
I will continue to work hard as King County Executive to free every person to succeed.
As we celebrate today, we celebrate with millions of diverse Americans – indivisible – and that is a big part of what makes King County, and America, truly great. This is your home. You belong here. And no one – not even the President – can change that.
I hope you have a great 4th of July.